Racking and Installation
Netflix ships each OCA to your requested location ready to deploy. As soon as you receive your OCA shipment, you are responsible for:
- Racking the appliance
- Providing the necessary 2-4 x 10Gbps (or 1 X 100G) optical network connections. Exact quantity depends on the appliance type.
Reminder: Because the content that is pre-loaded onto the appliances can become stale quickly, you should complete the installation as soon as possible.
- For Global OCAs, optics face the cold aisle.
- For Flash-based appliances, optics face the hot aisle.
- For Storage OCAs, optics might face either the hot or the cold aisle.
Airflow is marked on the OCA. If you are unsure about what type of OCA you are installing or have a question about airflow, open a ticket.
OCAs are either 2- or 4-post friendly.
If you are racking a Global or Storage OCA, follow these instructions:
If you are racking a Flash OCA, follow these instructions:
If you are using DC power, follow these supplemental instructions:
- Elevated Operating Ambient: If installed in a closed or multi-unit rack assembly, the operating ambient temperature of the rack environment may be greater than room ambient. Therefore, consideration should be given to installing the equipment in an environment compatible with the maximum ambient temperature (Tma) specified by the manufacturer.
- Reduced Air Flow: Installation of the equipment in a rack should be such that the amount of airflow required for safe operation of the equipment is not compromised.
- Mechanical Loading: Mounting of the equipment in the rack should be such that a hazardous condition is not achieved due to uneven mechanical loading.
- Circuit Overloading: Consideration should be given to the connection of the equipment to the supply circuit and the effect that overloading of the circuits might have on overcurrent protection and supply wiring. Appropriate consideration of equipment nameplate ratings should be used when addressing this concern.
- Reliable Earthing: Reliable earthing of rack-mounted equipment should be maintained. Particular attention should be given to supply connections other than direct connections to the branch circuit (e.g. use of power strips).
OCAs Defective on Receipt
If an OCA is defective upon receipt, Netflix will send a Return Material Authorization (RMA) replacement appliance. For more information see: Returns and replacements
In the event of a hardware failure, please open a ticket for assistance.
After the initial installation, the next step is to establish a BGP session with the appliance, following the network configuration instructions. After the session is established and the appliance begins reporting route data, the OCA will begin to receive fill traffic and begin a burn-in cycle. Assuming that the appliance was installed within a reasonable amount of time after receipt, the fill process generally takes about two days. If installation was delayed, the fill process can take longer.
During the burn-in period, multiple checks are run on the appliance. You will receive periodic emails with the results of the checks. The appliance will not start serving client traffic until all checks pass and acceptable offload can be achieved. When the system is ready, the Netflix Open Connect operations team will enable the system to serve clients and will continue to monitor its performance.