- Unboxing the OCA
- Racking the OCA
- Installing optic connectors and fiber cable
- Installing power supply units (PSUs)
- OCAs Defective on Receipt
- Next Steps
Netflix ships each OCA to your requested location ready to deploy. As soon as you receive your OCA shipment, you are responsible for:
- Racking the appliance
- Providing the necessary 2-4 x 10Gbps (or 1-2 X 100G) optical network connections. Exact quantity depends on the appliance type.
Reminder: Because the content that is pre-loaded onto the appliances can become stale quickly, you should complete the installation as soon as possible.
Unboxing the OCA
Complete the steps in the applicable video(s) below to open the box and remove the OCA and parts.
Racking the OCA
Rack type: OCAs are either 2- or 4-post rack friendly.
- Optics might face either the hot or the cold aisle.
- Airflow is marked on the OCA, and these markings should be taken as the source of truth. If you are unsure about what type of OCA you are installing or have a question about airflow, open a ticket.
- Elevated Operating Ambient: If installed in a closed or multi-unit rack assembly, the operating ambient temperature of the rack environment may be greater than room ambient. Therefore, consideration should be given to installing the equipment in an environment compatible with the maximum ambient temperature (Tma) specified by the manufacturer.
- Reduced Air Flow: Installation of the equipment in a rack should be such that the amount of airflow required for safe operation of the equipment is not compromised.
- Mechanical Loading: Mounting of the equipment in the rack should be such that a hazardous condition is not achieved due to uneven mechanical loading.
- Circuit Overloading: Consideration should be given to the connection of the equipment to the supply circuit and the effect that overloading of the circuits might have on overcurrent protection and supply wiring. Appropriate consideration of equipment nameplate ratings should be used when addressing this concern.
- Reliable Earthing: Reliable earthing of rack-mounted equipment should be maintained. Particular attention should be given to supply connections other than direct connections to the branch circuit (e.g. use of power strips).
Complete the steps in the applicable video(s) below to install the OCA into a 4-post rack.
If you are racking a 2U or 4U OCA, refer to these additional instructions:
If you are racking a 1U OCA, refer to these additional instructions:
Installing optic connectors and fiber cable
Complete the steps in the applicable video(s) below to install the optics connector(s) and fiber optic cable(s) that came with the OCA.
Global OCA - optics connectors:
For Global OCAs only, we also include a copper connector that can be used to enable out-of-band access between a healthy OCA and an OCA that is offline. Storage and Flash OCAs have this type of connector integrated into the motherboard. On Global OCAs, the copper connector should come already inserted into the LAN1 port, and you will only need to connect it as needed for troubleshooting. For more information see: Enabling out-of-band access to an offline OCA
In case you need to insert the copper connector separately, follow the steps in this video:
Global OCA - fiber optic cable:
Storage OCA - optics connectors:
Storage OCA - fiber optic cables:
Flash OCA - optics connectors:
Flash OCA - fiber optic cable:
Installing power supply units (PSU)
Complete the steps in the applicable video(s) below to install the power supply units (PSUs) that came with the OCA.
DC Power: If you are using DC power, follow these supplemental instructions:
After you have installed the PSU, connect the power cables and power on the OCA.
OCAs Defective on Receipt
If an OCA is defective upon receipt, Netflix will send a Return Material Authorization (RMA) replacement appliance. For more information see: Returns and replacements
In the event of a hardware failure, please open a ticket for assistance.
After the initial installation, the next step is to establish a BGP session with the appliance, following the network configuration instructions. After the session is established and the appliance begins reporting route data, the OCA will begin to receive fill traffic and begin a burn-in cycle. Assuming that the appliance was installed within a reasonable amount of time after receipt, the fill process generally takes about two days. If installation was delayed, the fill process can take longer.
During the burn-in period, multiple turn-up checks are run on the appliance. You will receive periodic emails with the results of the turn-up checks, and any failing checks are also visible in the Partner Portal with links to additional troubleshooting information. The appliance will start serving client traffic after all checks pass and acceptable offload can be achieved. When the system is ready, the Netflix Open Connect operations team will enable the system to serve clients and will continue to monitor its performance.