There are two methods you can use to check the optical strength on an OCA:
Using the Partner Portal to check optical strength
- From the main Sites and Appliances page, navigate to the appliance that you want to check.
- On the appliance details page, open the Metrics tab.
- Select the Light Levels chart. The chart indicates thresholds for light levels that are questionable (degraded) or broken (out of range).
- If the values are out of range, follow the steps below, then re-check the levels.
Using the console to check optical strength
- Connect to the console on the appliance.
- Using the up/down arrows and the 'Enter/Return' key on your keyboard, choose the 'Optical strength readings' command option.
- View the list of of signal strengths for each interface:
Interface names are mapped as follows:
Optical signal strengths should be in the following range:
Optical Receive Power: 0 dBm to -10.0 dBm
- If the values are out of range, follow the steps below.
- To refresh the values, press the 'Enter/Return' key to exit, then repeat steps 2-3.
Steps to take if values are out of range
In either case, if the values are out of range follow these steps:
- To avoid impacting the subscriber experience, drain traffic from the OCA 1-2 hours prior to this maintenance, following these instructions.
- Clean the fibers and verify the path between the OCA and your router.
- Recheck the values.
- If the values remain out of range, open a ticket - or update your existing ticket if there is one - so that we can take additional steps to fix the problem.